You always have a reason to post something on social media! Check out this great list of “holidays” you can celebrate each month on your social media platforms, brought to you by Hootsuite.
A List of Weird ‘Holidays’ to Celebrate on Social Media
National holidays, campaign launches, important events—your social media content calendar should be filled with key dates and milestones for your business, and the corresponding content you’re planning to post across all your networks.
Of course, some months are busier than others. January might be a notoriously chaotic month for your business, full of product launches or big sales, but you’re then left desperate for social content during the quiet February that follows.
How is a social media manager supposed to survive these perilous periods of feast and famine? A fun option is to celebrate “micro holidays” that have universal appeal on the internet and loads of potential for creative social media campaigns.
Here’s a list of potential micro holidays you can celebrate on social media—just remember that any content you produce should still be relevant to your business and a good fit for your brand.
- January 4 – Trivia Day: #NationalTriviaDay. Test your followers’ knowledge by posting trivia questions about your brand or industry on social media. Hand out prizes, discounts, or free products to really make it worth their while.
- January 15 – Hat Day: #NationalHatDay
- January 17 – Ditch Your Resolution Day: #DitchYourResolutionDay
- January 20 – Cheese Lovers Day: #NationalCheeseLoversDay
- January 21 – National Hugging Day: #NationalHuggingDay
- January 23 – Community Manager Appreciation Day: #CMAD
- January 25 – Opposite Day: #OppositeDay
- February 7 – Send a Card to a Friend Day: #SendACardToAFriendDay
- February 9 – National Pizza Day: #NationalPizzaDay. Business-to-business (B2B) brands could score major points on this day by sending their top customers pizzas for lunch. Include a handwritten note explaining the holiday and include the hashtag and your social handles. Chances are, you’ll see quite a few thank you tweets and posts pop up. Pizza is how you make friends.
- February 11 – Inventors Day: #NationalInventorsDay
- February 15 – Singles Awareness Day: #SinglesAwarenessDay
- February 17 – Random Acts of Kindness Day: #RandomActsOfKindnessDay
- February 20 – Love Your Pet Day: #LoveYourPetDay
- February 22 – Margarita Day: #NationalMargaritaDay
- March 1 – National Peanut Butter Lovers Day: #NationalPeanutButterLoversDay
- March 3 – Day of Unplugging: #NationalDayOfUnplugging
- March 14 – Potato Chip Day: #NationalPotatoChipDay
- March 18 – Awkward Moments Day: #AwkwardMomentsDay
- March 23 – Puppy Day: #NationalPuppyDay
- March 30 – Doctors Day: #NationalDoctorsDay
- April 7 – Beer Day: #NationalBeerDay
- April 10 – Siblings Day: #NationalSiblingsDay. Humanize your brand by posting a picture of your CEO and their sibling(s). Bonus points if the picture is mildly embarrassing.
- April 11 – Pet Day: #NationalPetDay
- April 20 – Look-alike Day: #NationalLookAlikeDay
- April 22 – Earth Day: #EarthDay
- April 25 – Denim Day: #DenimDay
- April 30 – Honesty Day: #NationalHonestyDay
- May 2 – Thank a Teacher Day: #ThankATeacher
- May 4 – Star Wars Day: #StarWarsDay (or #MayThe4thBeWithYou)
- May 6 – Nurses Day: #NursesDay
- May 10 – Receptionists Day: #NationalReceptionistDay
- May 12 – National Limerick Day: #NationalLimerickDay. Got a copywriter on staff? Today’s the day to let them shine. Twitter is the perfect platform to throw out a few limericks about your brand. (Just make sure they follow the AABBA rhyme scheme or else it’s not a true limerick. Trust me, I’m a copywriter.)
- May 21 – National Memo Day: #NationalDemoDay
- May 24 – Scavenger Hunt Day: #NationalScavengerHuntDay
- June 2 – Donut Day: #NationalDonutDay
- June 4 – Leave the Office Early Day: #LeaveTheOfficeEarlyDay
- June 8 – Best Friends Day: #NationalBestFriendsDay
- June 21 – Selfie Day: #NationalSelfieDay
- June 30 – Social Media Day: #SMDay
- July 1 – Joke Day: #InternationalJokeDay
- July 7 – World Chocolate Day: #WorldChocolateDay
- July 10 – Pina Colada Day: #NationalPinaColadaDay
- July 13 – French Fry Day: #NationalFrenchFryDay
- July 20 – Moon Day: #NationalMoonDay
- July 24 – Cousins Day: #NationalCousinsDay
- August 9 – Book Lovers Day: #NationalBookLoversDay
- August 10 – National Lazy Day: #NationalLazyDay
- August 12 – Middle Child Day: #MiddleChildDay
- August 13 – International Lefthanders Day: #LefthandersDay
- August 15 – Relaxation Day: #NationalRelaxationDay. Even if your brand doesn’t directly offer relaxation products or services, think about ways you could make life easier for your followers. For example, if they sign up for one month of service with a special code you post on Twitter, give them one more for free so they can kick back and relax until the fall.
- August 27 – Just Because Day: #JustBecauseDay
- September 3 – Beard Day: #WorldBeardDay
- September 9 – National Grandparents Day: #NationalGrandparentsDay
- September 12 – Video Games Day: #NationalVideoGamesDay
- September 19 – Talk Like A Pirate Day: #TalkLikeAPirateDay (or #TLAPD). You don’t only have to talk like a pirate to celebrate this beloved internet holiday. Have some fun and dress up your social profile photos, too. Who knows, maybe your logo will look so good with an eye patch it will become a permanent part of your brand.
- September 21 – Day of Peace: #InternationalDayOfPeace
- September 30 – Podcast Day: #InternationalPodcastDay
- October 1 – Coffee Day: #InternationalCoffeeDay
- October 4 – Taco Day: #NationalTacoDay
- October 13 – National Train Your Brain Day: #TrainYourBrainDay
- October 15 – Maths Day: #WorldMathsDay
- October 25 – Greasy Foods Day: #GreasyFoodsDay
- October 29 – Internet Day: #InternetDay
- October 30 – Checklist Day: #ChecklistDay. Put your design skills to work and create a fun Instagram checklist that revolves around your brand. Get clever in the copy, and use it as an opportunity to showcase the value of your product or service.
- November 1 – Authors Day: #NationalAuthorsDay
- November 3 – National Sandwich Day: #NationalSandwichDay
- November 4 – Candy Day: #NationalCandyDay
- November 13 – Kindness Day: #WorldKindnessDay
- November 21 – Entrepreneurs Day: #NationalEntrepreneursDay
- November 26 – National Cake Day: #NationalCakeDay. Here’s how to be a hit on social media AND in the office: Get a beautiful, ornate, professional cake made that represents your brand. Post a before picture. Let co-workers go crazy. Post a picture of the aftermath—and watch the likes come rolling in.
- December 4 – Cookie Day: #NationalCookieDay
- December 8 – Pretend to Be a Time Traveler Day: #PretendToBeATimeTravelerDay
- December 11 – Mountain Day: #InternationalMountainDay
- December 15 – Cupcake Day: #NationalCupcakeDay
- December 21 – Crossword Puzzle Day: #CrosswordPuzzleDay
- December 30 – Bacon Day: #BaconDay
Click here to view the original article.