11 Nov How to Create Instagram Carousel Posts
This article comes from Hootsuite.
How to Create Instagram Carousel Posts
Instagram carousel posts are one of the most engaging formats on social media right now.
Hootsuite’s own social media team finds that, on average, their carousel posts get 1.4x more reach and 3.1x more engagement than regular posts on Instagram.
The temptation to swipe left, it seems, is hard to resist—especially when there’s a persuasive cover slide. Give your followers the chance to stop doomscrolling and start swoonscrolling with thumb-stopping carousel posts.
What is an Instagram carousel post?
An Instagram carousel is a post with multiple photos or videos that can be viewed by swiping or clicking left. Up to 10 images or videos can be added and shared as a single post on the feed.
Just like any other Instagram post, you can include a caption, alt-image text, a geotag, and account and product tags on each image in your carousel. People can like, comment, and share your carousel post, just like any other.
When a carousel is published, a small icon appears in the upper right corner. As someone flips to the second image, the icon is replaced with a counter that indicates the number of frames. Small dots also appear at the bottom of a post to mark progress through the carousel.
Why choose an Instagram carousel? Give your brand the “magazine treatment” with double-slide spreads, close-ups, and shots from different angles. Provide step-by-step guide instructions or parse out information. Build intrigue and unveil a surprise or before and afters. Or use the format to convey scale.
Instagram carousel size and requirements
Much like a regular post, Instagram carousel can be published in square, landscape, and portrait formats.
But keep in mind that all posts must be uniform. Whatever shape you choose for the first slide will apply to the rest of the frames, too.
Instagram carousel sizes:
- Landscape: 1080 x 566 pixels
- Portrait: 1080 x 1350 pixels
- Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Aspect ratio: landscape (1.91:1), square (1:1), vertical (4:5)
- Recommended image size: Width of 1080 pixels, height between 566 and 1350 pixels (depending on whether the image is landscape or portrait)
Instagram video carousel specs:
- Length: 3 to 60 seconds
- Recommended formats include .MP4 and .MOV
- Aspect ratios: landscape (1.91:1), square (1:1), vertical (4:5)
- Maximum video size: 4GB
Don’t be afraid to post a mix of videos and images.
How to create an Instagram carousel post
When it comes to creating an Instagram carousel post, it’s best to start with a concept. Determine why the carousel is the best fit for your content, instead of a standard post, collage post, video, or Instagram story.
With this question answered, you’ll likely have a good sense of the type of content you plan to use. Sketch out a storyboard to get an idea of how many frames you’ll need. Decide if your carousel will jump from one image to the next, or have a continuous, panoramic effect.
Here’s how to make a carousel post on Instagram:
- Add all relevant photos to your photo library.
- Open the Instagram app and click the + icon from the navigation bar.
- Tap Library in the lower left.
- Tap Select Multiple, located in the bottom right of the image preview window.
- Select up to 10 photos in videos in the order that you would like them to appear.
- Tap Next. If desired, apply filters or edits to each frame. Tap on the photo to open Edit tools. When finished, or to skip this step, tap Next.
- Add your caption, geo-tag, account tags, and product tags. Swipe through to tag the appropriate photo.
Tip: Double-check to make sure all your frames are in the correct order before you publish. You can’t reorder or delete single slides after you share.
Click here to view the original article.
Have you tried the Instagram Carousel post yet? What do you think of this feature? Let us know!